
The Israeli military says special forces have found the body of a soldier killed in the 2014 Gaza war who had since been held hostage by Hamas.
Staff Sgt Oron Shaul’s remains were found during a “covert, special operation” by the Israeli military and Shin Bet security service in Gaza, according to a statement.
His family was informed following an identification procedure conducted by the National Institute of Forensic Medicine and the Military Rabbinate, it added.
Hamas was expected to hand over Shaul’s remains as part of the new Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal, which was meant to be implemented on Sunday morning, but has been delayed.
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari said Shaul “fell in battle” in Gaza City’s eastern Shejaiya district on July 20, 2014 and “was abducted by the Hamas terrorist organization”.
“This was a significant intelligence and operational undertaking that lasted for the last decade since his fall and abduction, and especially during the war and during the last few days,” he told a briefing.
The operation to bring Shaul’s body home for burial was carried out by special units from the IDF’s Military Intelligence Directorate, the Shayetet 13 marine commando unit and Shin Bet operatives, he said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the special forces involved “for their ingenuity and their bravery”.
He said pictures of Shaul and Goldin had “been in front of me in my office for many years as daily testimony of my commitment to bring them home”.
“We have completed the mission to bring back Oron and will not rest until we also complete the mission to bring back Hadar Goldin,” he added.
“We will continue to act to return all our hostages, the living and the deceased.”

Netanyahu issued the statement shortly after he said it the start of the Gaza ceasefire would be delayed until Hamas confirmed the names of the first hostages it planned to release in exchange for Palestinian prisoners.
Hamas blamed technical problems for not handing over the list and said it was still committed to the deal.
Israel launched a campaign to destroy Hamas in response to the October 7, 2023 attack, in which around 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.
Nearly 46,900 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry. Most of the 2.3 million inhabitants have been displaced, there is widespread destruction and there are severe shortages of food, fuel, medicine and shelter due to a struggle to get aid to those in need.
Israel says 94 of the hostages are still being held by Hamas, 34 of whom are presumed dead.
In the first six-week phase of the ceasefire agreement, 33 hostages – including women, children and the elderly – were to be exchanged for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.
Israeli forces will also withdraw to the east, away from densely populated areas of Gaza, while displaced Palestinians will be allowed to begin returning to their homes and hundreds of aid trucks will be allowed into the territory each day.
Negotiations on the second phase – which would see the release of the remaining hostages, a complete withdrawal of Israeli troops and a return to “sustainable calm” – will begin on the 16th day of the ceasefire.
The third and final phase will involve the reconstruction of Gaza – something that could take years – and the return of the bodies of any remaining hostages.